An international, leading edge, Los Angeles-based water feature design and engineering firm is looking to hire a Plumbing Engineer / Mechanical Engineer on a direct-hire basis. The firm collaborates with many of the world’s most respected architects, landscape architects, and developers in the realization of site-specific, creative and technically refined water features. The Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for the design and development of plumbing and electrical systems for large-scale water features from concept analysis through commissioning.
The Mechanical Engineer will work in association with other in-house and out-of-house design professional team members. The position requires a rational approach to engineering problems and systems thinking, covering the key areas of hydraulics, piping, power, signal and controls, and also a general understanding of geometry, structures and construction. Previous experience with water features or irrigation is required. The company works collaboratively towards innovative solutions, and requires a healthy degree of creativity in the successful candidate, functioning with a balanced engineering ability and a positive sense of mission.
The Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Analyzing and engineering mechanical, electrical, plumbing and control systems to achieve exceptional water feature installations.
- Equipment Research / Specifications / Selection.
- Preparing Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams, Electrical Schematics, Equipment Schedules & Written Specifications, Piping Plans, Equipment Room Plans & Sections, and Mechanical Construction Details for inclusion in Schematic Design, Design Development and Construction Document drawings packages.
- Preparing water feature systems order or magnitude construction cost estimates.
- Traveling to project sites for piping, electrical, and controls construction review and for participation in the contractor’s commissioning of water features.
- Coordinating closely with the company’s design team, responding nimbly to the ongoing internal questions and design changes normal to fast-paced design and engineering practices.
- Attending phone, web, or video conferences with clients for domestic and international projects.
- Providing engineering leadership aimed towards the continuing evolution of a robust engineering culture within the design studio.
- 5-10 years of relevant experience. Professional Engineering license is required.
- Experience with water features or irrigation is required.
- Experience with construction administration process and general knowledge of construction methodologies is preferred.
- Professional level AutoCAD skills required, Revit or BIM knowledge is a plus.
- Strong analytical skills, and a professionally curious intellectual nature.
- Excellent verbal and written skills are required.
- Ability to think inside and outside the box and participate in creative brainstorming.
- Must be available to travel to domestic and international destinations.
Competitive salary, based on relevant experience.